Wednesday, September 29, 2010

a typical day 'off'

My 2nd post brought to you LIVE in my new office.
Scored everything I needed at Grannies of course with a just little help from my home away from home True Value Hardware Store.
One swanky comfy black leather computer chair, one run down LIGHT BLUE old wooden desk.




Two cans of black krylon spray paint (flat of course) and one can of olive green later...and voila!


all for under $20.  GOD I love Grannies.  Grannies being the local island thrift store that rocks like no other thrift store in the history of thrift stores.
So...its not really my office per se...its my art/meditation/blogging space.  Now complete with desk and chair.  perfect.
I finished the whole project tonight while I was also doing laundry, feeding the dogs, cleaning the house. I tend to cram all of that kind of stuff in the night before I have to go back to work.

Earlier today....

Considering I only actually work at my job 10 days a month its hard to consider everyday Im not at the hospital a day off.
I usually pack my days full with carrying on around the island.  Today was no different.
Cancelled massages I had scheduled due to my fucked up hand situation and hung out with my clients instead of massaging them.
Just Colleen actually.  She has to be thee sweetest person on Vashon and Im very lucky to have her as a friend.
She is a Master Gardner - my own personal Master Gardner and just an all around amazing soul.
She has Macular Degeneration.  Losing her eyesight more and more each year.  But she stays positive and just continues to do the things she loves as long as she is able to do them.
After calling her to cancel her massage she insisted that I come over so she could make me lunch and so we could go for walk around the Burton loop.
When I got there she was just finishing up the roasted vegetable quesadilla's with chicken and humus.  So amazing.  Then instead of walking Burton loop - which seemed like HELL to me, lots of hills and such - we went to Agren Park instead of hunt Chantrelle's!


 I was so excited!  I love to mushroom hunt! Having only ever jumped fences into cow pastures to check the patties for magic ones I was very excited to be embarking on a sober mushroom hunting adventure.
Just being in the woods with Colleen was amazing.  Her vast knowledge of plants is so impressive.  She new the answer to every question I threw at her.
Well...we didnt find a single one.  We found some that we thought came close - but after she took them to her mushroom expert he assured her we did NOT want to eat those.
She went to Minglements and bought the locally harvested ones and put them in her home made chicken soup that had been on the burner all day and sent me home with a container of it.
Thee most amazing soup I have ever had.  And thats saying something because I am a lover of soup.

So I did a bunch of other things like got my hair cut, got new license plates for the pathfinder, did some fall pruning in the yard, talked on the phone to people I love.
And now Im going to go to bed and cuddle with the cutest dogs on the planet.
Another great day on Vashon.



The End


No comments:

Post a Comment